We will always endeavour to keep any personal information you share with us safe. We recognise that, as a charitable organisation, we will collect and use personal data about various categories of individuals. We take data protection very seriously and will ensure that we uphold the trust that our service users, donors, supporters and customers place in us when they provide us with their personal information. This policy allows you to understand how and why and where we may collect and use your personal information.
littlelifts is the “controller” for the purposes of data protection law, and is therefore responsible for your personal data.
We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us.
This notice was last updated on 9 May 2019
Data Protection Principles
littlelifts adheres to the principles set out in data protection legislation when handling personal data. These principles require personal data to be:
- Processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.
- Collected only for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes.
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which it is processed.
- Accurate and where necessary kept up to date.
- Not kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the data is processed.
- in a manner that ensures its security using appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage.
- Not transferred to another country without appropriate safeguards being in place.
- Made available to data subjects and allow data subjects to exercise certain rights in relation to their personal data.
We are also responsible and accountable for ensuring that we can demonstrate compliance with the data protection principles listed above.
We will collect and use your personal information either because;
- You have consented and/or explicitly consented to its collection and use for specific purposes described in this policy;
- The collection and use is necessary in order for us to comply with our obligations under a contract between you and us; or
- It is necessary for a legal obligation placed upon us;
- It is necessary in pursuit of a “legitimate interest”, a legitimate interest in this context means a valid interest we have or a third party has in processing your personal data. When doing so we will make sure we take into account your rights and interests and will not process your personal information if we feel that there is a disproportionate impact on your privacy.
- Along with one of the reasons above you may also have made particular personal information public yourself;
- Along with one of the reasons above in relation to a legal claim.
What data do we collect?
The personal data we collect may include:
- Contact details, including your name, address, telephone number and email address.
- Information about your identity such as your age or date of birth.
- Payment information, including credit/debit card details and bank account details (e.g. if you make a purchase or a donation).
- Contact history, such as any communications with us via phone, email, post or through our website or social media pages.
- Transaction history, including information about events and activities you have taken part in or purchases you have made.
- Responses to surveys.
- Marketing preferences.
- Technical data such as internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access the website.
When do we collect your data?
- Personal data is usually collected from you through direct interaction with us (either in person, by phone, by email, by post or through this website). We may also collect personal data when you use this website, through automated technologies, analytics providers or search engine providers.
- We receive your personal information that you provide by filling in forms on our website www.littlelifts.org.uk. This includes personal information provided when you contact us via our contact form, subscribe to our services or newsletter, sign up for or attend events, request awareness or fundraising material, request to make a purchase from us, sign up to Gift Aid or make a donation.
- If you contact us in writing, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- If you sign up for an event with us we will be contacting you with information on that event, fundraising tips and training hints.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you’ve given a third-party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
- When we collect data from publicly-available sources where you have given your consent to share information or where the information is made public as a matter of law.
We generally use your personal information so that we can;
- Contact you if you have signed up for an event with us to provide you with information on that event, fundraising tips and training hints.
- Administer your donations or support your fundraising efforts.
- Process Gift Aid on donations.
- Comply with our financial or legal requirements.
- Provide you with relevant marketing materials, only if you have opted in to receive these communications.
- Keep a record of your relationship with us.
- Send you our newsletter if you have subscribed using your email address.
- If you have shared your story with us we won’t share identifiable details without your permission, but may use your story in impact reporting, media interviews or funding opportunities.
- Review your application to become a volunteer or for a job role.
- Assist you with being a volunteer for us.
- Deal with any queries or complaints you have.
- Provide information, products and services to you.
- Administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
- Analyse how our services are used and our activities and to identify trends.
- Review and improve our service, website and products.
We will only use your personal data for the purpose for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason which is compatible with the original purpose.
Who do we share your personal information with?
littlelifts does not sell any personal information to third parties – however we may share personal information with third parties working on our behalf, for example financial providers assisting us with processing donations or Gift Aid, companies who provide us with IT and other technical support services, fundraising platform providers, or in order to enforce any terms and conditions or agreements that may apply. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We may also need to share your personal information if required to do so by law.
How do we look after your personal information?
We are committed to looking after your personal information at littlelifts HQ, and have measures in place to do so. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that appropriate technical and organisational measures are in place in order to protect the personal information we collect from you and protect against unlawful access and accidental loss or damage. These measures may include (as necessary):
- disposing of or deleting your personal information so it is done so securely;
- working closely with our IT service providers and ensure they use appropriate security.
- All financial transactions are undertaken on secure encrypted third party sites.
- Sensitive personal information is looked after by littlelifts staff, who are aware of the confidential nature of the information and will only process the data on our instructions.
- We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for.
Your information may be shared with us by third party organisations including fundraising sites such as Virgin Money Giving or Charity Checkout, please do take the time to read their privacy policies carefully to understand how they will process your information and what they share with us.
Examples of personal information we may receive are:
Name, postal address, telephone number, age, date of birth, email address, gift aid information and card details.
If we do obtain your personal information from a third party your rights under this policy are not affected and you are still able to exercise your rights contained within this policy.
You have the right to request a copy of any information about you that littlelifts holds at any time, and also to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate. To ask for your information, please contact us at [email protected].
You have the right to ask us to delete your personal information. Unless we have reasonable grounds to refuse to delete your personal information, we will aim to securely delete the personal information in question within one month. The personal information may continue to exist in certain backup, but we will take steps to ensure that we honour your wishes and treat it as deleted.
If we are unable to resolve any issues you may have in the first instance or you would like to make a further complaint, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office, the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues, by visiting http://www.ico.org.uk/ for further assistance.
If you need to contact us our details are:
Email address: [email protected]
Postal address: Kay Phoenix, 4 Bawburgh Mill, Harts Lane, Norwich NR9 3LS